[orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

12

[orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Michał Zegan
Hello.

Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
You need access to any kind of slack channel.
When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Peter Vágner-3
Hello,

I don't know Slack my-self, however I would like to get you to look at its competitor riot.im open-source, built on modern technologies with an ability to do group as well as direct chats including audio and video calls, end-to-end encryption and more.
Android and web apps are very useable with some known accessibility issues.
This is getting some use inside an huge open-source communities such as mozilla. I have also noticed Igalia is also adopting it perhaps in order to complement IRC based chats.
disroot.org also features matrix.org / riot.im based chat.

Greetings

Peter

Hello.

Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
You need access to any kind of slack channel.
When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Michał Zegan
You know that it does not matter if it is not you who chose the
software, so...

W dniu 21.11.2017 o 13:03, Peter Vágner pisze:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know Slack my-self, however I would like to get you to look at
> its competitor riot.im <http://riot.im> open-source, built on modern
> technologies with an ability to do group as well as direct chats
> including audio and video calls, end-to-end encryption and more.
> Android and web apps are very useable with some known accessibility issues.
> This is getting some use inside an huge open-source communities such as
> mozilla. I have also noticed Igalia is also adopting it perhaps in order
> to complement IRC based chats.
> disroot.org <http://disroot.org> also features matrix.org
> <http://matrix.org> / riot.im <http://riot.im> based chat.
>
> Greetings
>
> Peter

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hello.
>
>     Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
>     You need access to any kind of slack channel.
>     When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
>     to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
>     was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't
>     really work.

>     GNOME Universal Access guide:
>     https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>     <https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html>
>     Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Alan Ghelardi

Some friends are complaining about the accessibility of Firefox 57 on Windows systems. maybe there were accessibility regressions that affected some applications on Linux as well, although I haven't tested yet and can't confirm this. However the better way that I've found to use Slack on a computer was through a Emacs package called emacs-slack. It provides an excelent access to the majority of Slack features without accessibility problems.

Obviously if you aren't an Emacs user there is no sense on using it just for getting access to Slack, but if you are, I strongly recommend having a look at it. My company uses Slack heavily and this package has saved my life since I was having lots of problems to interact with Slack with Firefox. By the way, the iPhone app also works relatively well.

On 11/21/2017 09:24 AM, Michał Zegan wrote:
Hello.

Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
You need access to any kind of slack channel.
When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

John Covici
hmmm, I tried installing slack melpa package, but could not find any
documentation or any way how to use it.  Is the emacs-slack different
from this one?

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 07:18:14 -0500,
Alan Ghelardi wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; utf-8 (8bit)>]
> [1.2  <text/html; utf-8 (8bit)>]
> Some friends are complaining about the accessibility of Firefox 57 on Windows systems. maybe there were accessibility regressions that affected some applications on Linux as well, although I haven't tested yet and can't confirm this.
> However the better way that I've found to use Slack on a computer was through a Emacs package called emacs-slack. It provides an excelent access to the majority of Slack features without accessibility problems.
>
> Obviously if you aren't an Emacs user there is no sense on using it just for getting access to Slack, but if you are, I strongly recommend having a look at it. My company uses Slack heavily and this package has saved my life since I was
> having lots of problems to interact with Slack with Firefox. By the way, the iPhone app also works relatively well.
>
> On 11/21/2017 09:24 AM, Michał Zegan wrote:
>
>  Hello.
>
> Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
> You need access to any kind of slack channel.
> When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
> to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
> was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Alan Ghelardi
Have a look at: https://github.com/yuya373/emacs-slack. The Github page
has everything that you need to get started.

On 11/21/2017 01:46 PM, John Covici wrote:

> hmmm, I tried installing slack melpa package, but could not find any
> documentation or any way how to use it.  Is the emacs-slack different
> from this one?
>
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 07:18:14 -0500,
> Alan Ghelardi wrote:
>> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
>> [1.1  <text/plain; utf-8 (8bit)>]
>> [1.2  <text/html; utf-8 (8bit)>]
>> Some friends are complaining about the accessibility of Firefox 57 on Windows systems. maybe there were accessibility regressions that affected some applications on Linux as well, although I haven't tested yet and can't confirm this.
>> However the better way that I've found to use Slack on a computer was through a Emacs package called emacs-slack. It provides an excelent access to the majority of Slack features without accessibility problems.
>>
>> Obviously if you aren't an Emacs user there is no sense on using it just for getting access to Slack, but if you are, I strongly recommend having a look at it. My company uses Slack heavily and this package has saved my life since I was
>> having lots of problems to interact with Slack with Firefox. By the way, the iPhone app also works relatively well.
>>
>> On 11/21/2017 09:24 AM, Michał Zegan wrote:
>>
>>   Hello.
>>
>> Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
>> You need access to any kind of slack channel.
>> When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
>> to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
>> was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

>> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Alex ARNAUD-3
Are you using the extension from NV Access to increase the a11y of Slack?

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager

Le 21/11/2017 à 12:24, Michał Zegan a écrit :

> Hello.
>
> Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
> You need access to any kind of slack channel.
> When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
> to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
> was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Michał Zegan
honestly, slack worked before. Not so good as it could/should, but
worked. Now at ff 57, well, it seems no longer to read most things it
read before, moving using a browse mode is somehow broken there and it
was never the case. Unless it was this one single firefox launch that
caused it.

W dniu 21.11.2017 o 17:12, Alex ARNAUD pisze:
> Are you using the extension from NV Access to increase the a11y of Slack?
>
> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Michał Zegan
Confirmed, stopped to happen. What is it, i don't know.

W dniu 21.11.2017 o 17:14, Michał Zegan pisze:

> honestly, slack worked before. Not so good as it could/should, but
> worked. Now at ff 57, well, it seems no longer to read most things it
> read before, moving using a browse mode is somehow broken there and it
> was never the case. Unless it was this one single firefox launch that
> caused it.
>
> W dniu 21.11.2017 o 17:12, Alex ARNAUD pisze:
>> Are you using the extension from NV Access to increase the a11y of Slack?
>>
>> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Alex ARNAUD-3
OK, I understand. You can disable the new feature multiprocessing if it
breaks your usage

  Before that, could you tell us what bug do you have encounter inside
Slack? What is your Orca version? It could be important to fix the issue
for the future.

The steps are :
1) Open Firefox
2) Open about:config from the URL
3) In the search field type : "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2"
4) Tab one time and check the value, if the value is true, do the step 5
5) Press the menu key to see the contextual menu and choose inverse value
6)  Restart Firefox

Best regards.
--

Le 21/11/2017 à 17:14, Michał Zegan a écrit :

> honestly, slack worked before. Not so good as it could/should, but
> worked. Now at ff 57, well, it seems no longer to read most things it
> read before, moving using a browse mode is somehow broken there and it
> was never the case. Unless it was this one single firefox launch that
> caused it.
>
> W dniu 21.11.2017 o 17:12, Alex ARNAUD pisze:
>> Are you using the extension from NV Access to increase the a11y of Slack?
>>
>> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Michał Zegan
Seems this bug is launch specific and does not happen now at all, so not
sure if I actually have *any* way to reproduce

W dniu 21.11.2017 o 17:31, Alex ARNAUD pisze:

> OK, I understand. You can disable the new feature multiprocessing if it
> breaks your usage
>
>  Before that, could you tell us what bug do you have encounter inside
> Slack? What is your Orca version? It could be important to fix the issue
> for the future.
>
> The steps are :
> 1) Open Firefox
> 2) Open about:config from the URL
> 3) In the search field type : "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2"
> 4) Tab one time and check the value, if the value is true, do the step 5
> 5) Press the menu key to see the contextual menu and choose inverse value
> 6)  Restart Firefox
>
> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

John Covici
Do you know if it will do ssl connections or up and download files?

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:57:04 -0500,
Alan Ghelardi wrote:

> Have a look at: https://github.com/yuya373/emacs-slack. The
> Github page has everything that you need to get started.
>

> On 11/21/2017 01:46 PM, John Covici wrote:
> > hmmm, I tried installing slack melpa package, but could not find any
> > documentation or any way how to use it.  Is the emacs-slack different
> > from this one?
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 07:18:14 -0500,
> > Alan Ghelardi wrote:
> >> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> >> [1.1  <text/plain; utf-8 (8bit)>]
> >> [1.2  <text/html; utf-8 (8bit)>]
> >> Some friends are complaining about the accessibility of Firefox 57 on Windows systems. maybe there were accessibility regressions that affected some applications on Linux as well, although I haven't tested yet and can't confirm this.
> >> However the better way that I've found to use Slack on a computer was through a Emacs package called emacs-slack. It provides an excelent access to the majority of Slack features without accessibility problems.
> >>
> >> Obviously if you aren't an Emacs user there is no sense on using it just for getting access to Slack, but if you are, I strongly recommend having a look at it. My company uses Slack heavily and this package has saved my life since I was
> >> having lots of problems to interact with Slack with Firefox. By the way, the iPhone app also works relatively well.
> >>
> >> On 11/21/2017 09:24 AM, Michał Zegan wrote:
> >>
> >>   Hello.
> >>
> >> Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
> >> You need access to any kind of slack channel.
> >> When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
> >> to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
> >> was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

> >> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Jude DaShiell-2
Please remember computer memory is like batteries.  Eventually it's
permanently used up then it's time to buy a new computer.  Also, memory
has bad spots in it.  This may mean use of the computer with errors like
these where the computer burned through a bad spot in the memory.  Once
burned through, that spot and defect is gone permanently.  This is one of
the causes of what are described as glitches and they effect everything
that runs on memory sooner or later.

--

Seems this bug is launch specific and does not happen now at all, so not
sure if I actually have *any* way to reproduce

W dniu 21.11.2017 o 17:31, Alex ARNAUD pisze:

> OK, I understand. You can disable the new feature multiprocessing if it
> breaks your usage
>
>  Before that, could you tell us what bug do you have encounter inside
> Slack? What is your Orca version? It could be important to fix the issue
> for the future.
>
> The steps are :
> 1) Open Firefox
> 2) Open about:config from the URL
> 3) In the search field type : "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2"
> 4) Tab one time and check the value, if the value is true, do the step 5
> 5) Press the menu key to see the contextual menu and choose inverse value
> 6)  Restart Firefox
>
> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

John Covici
I looked at emacs-slack, but I need to connect via ssl -- with this
package do that?

Alan Ghelardi wrote:

> Have a look at: https://github.com/yuya373/emacs-slack. The
> Github page has everything that you need to get started.
>

> On 11/21/2017 01:46 PM, John Covici wrote:
> > hmmm, I tried installing slack melpa package, but could not find any
> > documentation or any way how to use it.  Is the emacs-slack different
> > from this one?
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 07:18:14 -0500,
> > Alan Ghelardi wrote:
> >> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> >> [1.1  <text/plain; utf-8 (8bit)>]
> >> [1.2  <text/html; utf-8 (8bit)>]
> >> Some friends are complaining about the accessibility of Firefox 57 on Windows systems. maybe there were accessibility regressions that affected some applications on Linux as well, although I haven't tested yet and can't confirm this.
> >> However the better way that I've found to use Slack on a computer was through a Emacs package called emacs-slack. It provides an excelent access to the majority of Slack features without accessibility problems.
> >>
> >> Obviously if you aren't an Emacs user there is no sense on using it just for getting access to Slack, but if you are, I strongly recommend having a look at it. My company uses Slack heavily and this package has saved my life since I was
> >> having lots of problems to interact with Slack with Firefox. By the way, the iPhone app also works relatively well.
> >>
> >> On 11/21/2017 09:24 AM, Michał Zegan wrote:
> >>
> >>   Hello.
> >>
> >> Slack seems to be inaccessible on new firefox, before it was far better.
> >> You need access to any kind of slack channel.
> >> When you join it, your focus goes to the message field, when you switch
> >> to browse mode you should be able to navigate around, and previously it
> >> was possible, but not it reacts... weird, and actually doesn't really work.

> >> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Alan Ghelardi
Not sure if I understood your question. Please, could you elaborate?

On 11/21/2017 06:03 PM, John Covici wrote:

> I looked at emacs-slack, but I need to connect via ssl -- with this
> package do that?
>
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:57:04 -0500,
> Alan Ghelardi wrote:
>> Have a look at: https://github.com/yuya373/emacs-slack. The
>> Github page has everything that you need to get started.
>>

>> On 11/21/2017 01:46 PM, John Covici wrote:
>>> hmmm, I tried installing slack melpa package, but could not find any
>>> documentation or any way how to use it.  Is the emacs-slack different
>>> from this one?

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

John Covici
My team requires an ssl connection, will the package you talked about
from github do that?

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 15:34:40 -0500,
Alan Ghelardi wrote:

> Not sure if I understood your question. Please, could you elaborate?
>

> On 11/21/2017 06:03 PM, John Covici wrote:
> > I looked at emacs-slack, but I need to connect via ssl -- with this
> > package do that?
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:57:04 -0500,
> > Alan Ghelardi wrote:
> >> Have a look at: https://github.com/yuya373/emacs-slack. The
> >> Github page has everything that you need to get started.

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Alan Ghelardi
This package is just a client that interacts with Slack's Web API via an
https connection. Notice that you should create an app associated to
your account in order to obtain a client id, a secret key and a token to
authorize the connection.

On 11/21/2017 07:10 PM, John Covici wrote:

> My team requires an ssl connection, will the package you talked about
> from github do that?
>
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 15:34:40 -0500,
> Alan Ghelardi wrote:
>> Not sure if I understood your question. Please, could you elaborate?
>>

>> On 11/21/2017 06:03 PM, John Covici wrote:
>>> I looked at emacs-slack, but I need to connect via ssl -- with this
>>> package do that?

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

John Covici
Also, any way to download a file using this package -- I see something
to upload the file, but how about downloading?

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 06:02:20 -0500,
Alan Ghelardi wrote:

> This package is just a client that interacts with Slack's Web API
> via an https connection. Notice that you should create an app
> associated to your account in order to obtain a client id, a
> secret key and a token to authorize the connection.
>

> On 11/21/2017 07:10 PM, John Covici wrote:
> > My team requires an ssl connection, will the package you talked about
> > from github do that?
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 15:34:40 -0500,
> > Alan Ghelardi wrote:
> >> Not sure if I understood your question. Please, could you elaborate?

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: [orca-list] slack probably inaccessible, maybe something happened in firefox 57?

Alan Ghelardi
As far as I know no. Uploading files is very straightforward but it
seems that there is no how to download then. Generally when someone
uploads a file I press return over it and my default browser is open in
the page where I can download the file. Perhaps this is a limitation of
Slack's Web API and not of the package itself.

12