[orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

[orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

Nick Wood
Hi all,

I use Linux and Orca as my main OS, however I need to run Windows
virtual machines as part of my work.

For years I've been using VMWare Player, however every time I get a
kernel upgrade or upgrade my OS, something goes wrong, and VMWare aren't
the quickest at releasing updated versions, with numerous
incompatibilities with system libraries.

So, I'd like to know, what other virtualisation software are people
using that works well with Orca?

By that, I mean that the user interface itself works with Orca so I can
set up and launch new virtual machines.

I did try Virtual Box a long time ago but I'm sure its UI didn't work
with Orca.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

Pavel Vlček-4
Hi,

today, I will play with virtmanager, it is accessible, but I don't know,
which distros have the virtmanager package, I am using Fedora 27.

Pavel

Dne 17.11.2017 v 08:45 Nick Wood napsal(a):

> Hi all,
>
> I use Linux and Orca as my main OS, however I need to run Windows
> virtual machines as part of my work.
>
> For years I've been using VMWare Player, however every time I get a
> kernel upgrade or upgrade my OS, something goes wrong, and VMWare
> aren't the quickest at releasing updated versions, with numerous
> incompatibilities with system libraries.
>
> So, I'd like to know, what other virtualisation software are people
> using that works well with Orca?
>
> By that, I mean that the user interface itself works with Orca so I
> can set up and launch new virtual machines.
>
> I did try Virtual Box a long time ago but I'm sure its UI didn't work
> with Orca.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nick

> GNOME Universal Access guide:
> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
> Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

crayton Benner
Have you tried virtual box?

> On Nov 17, 2017, at 3:52 AM, Pavel Vlček <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> today, I will play with virtmanager, it is accessible, but I don't know, which distros have the virtmanager package, I am using Fedora 27.
>
> Pavel
>

> Dne 17.11.2017 v 08:45 Nick Wood napsal(a):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I use Linux and Orca as my main OS, however I need to run Windows virtual machines as part of my work.
>>
>> For years I've been using VMWare Player, however every time I get a kernel upgrade or upgrade my OS, something goes wrong, and VMWare aren't the quickest at releasing updated versions, with numerous incompatibilities with system libraries.
>>
>> So, I'd like to know, what other virtualisation software are people using that works well with Orca?
>>
>> By that, I mean that the user interface itself works with Orca so I can set up and launch new virtual machines.
>>
>> I did try Virtual Box a long time ago but I'm sure its UI didn't work with Orca.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Nick

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

Nick Wood
Thanks both - I'll try Virt-Manager and VirtualBox - it's been a long
time since I've tried VirtualBox so maybe it works better these days
with Orca.

Thanks,

Nick

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

José Vilmar Estácio de Souza

Hi Nick.

The gui interface of virtual box is not very accessible but virtualbox can be totally managed from the command line.

Take a look in the documentation of vboxmanage.

On 11/17/2017 05:45 AM, Nick Wood wrote:
Hi all,

I use Linux and Orca as my main OS, however I need to run Windows virtual machines as part of my work.

For years I've been using VMWare Player, however every time I get a kernel upgrade or upgrade my OS, something goes wrong, and VMWare aren't the quickest at releasing updated versions, with numerous incompatibilities with system libraries.

So, I'd like to know, what other virtualisation software are people using that works well with Orca?

By that, I mean that the user interface itself works with Orca so I can set up and launch new virtual machines.

I did try Virtual Box a long time ago but I'm sure its UI didn't work with Orca.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Assinatura Informal José Vilmar, Telefones: 21 2555-2650 e 21 98868-0859,
        Skype: jvilmar

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

Mike Gorse-2
I use qemu and just have a shell script to launch it from the command
line. I haven't tried virt-manager, but it is gtk-based, so it should be
accessible if you want a graphical front end.

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Nick Wood wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use Linux and Orca as my main OS, however I need to run Windows virtual
> machines as part of my work.
>
> For years I've been using VMWare Player, however every time I get a kernel
> upgrade or upgrade my OS, something goes wrong, and VMWare aren't the
> quickest at releasing updated versions, with numerous incompatibilities with
> system libraries.
>
> So, I'd like to know, what other virtualisation software are people using
> that works well with Orca?
>
> By that, I mean that the user interface itself works with Orca so I can set
> up and launch new virtual machines.
>
> I did try Virtual Box a long time ago but I'm sure its UI didn't work with
> Orca.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nick

> GNOME Universal Access guide:
> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
> Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

John G Heim
Sorry for the late reply but I was out of town last week. I use
virtualbox all the time. But I do almost everything via the command
line. The GUI for virtualbox has some problems but it's not totally
unusable. I think you can do everything via the command line though. I'm
not sure how virtualbox's support for sound compares to other
hypervisors. Sound can be tricky in virtualbox virtual machines. I have
never been able to finx an incantation that works every time. It always
seems to me that one configuration works on one virtual machine and does
not work the next time I try it. There are a lot of different
combinations of parameters to set so it can be a difficult process to
find the right one depending on the host and guest operating system. I
suspect that is something you just have to live with on virtual machines
in general. I haven't used vmware in a long time but it was the same
thing then. I used to have a heck of a time getting sound working in a
vmware virtual machine.

done.

On 11/17/2017 04:41 AM, Nick Wood wrote:

> Thanks both - I'll try Virt-Manager and VirtualBox - it's been a long
> time since I've tried VirtualBox so maybe it works better these days
> with Orca.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

> GNOME Universal Access guide:
> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
> Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

Gnome Orca mailing list
All the complexity with sound on Linux has kept me away from graphical
vms hosted on Linux. I had very few issues with sound on my Mac Airbook
using VMware.

So, I'm very interested to hear Mike propose qemu. I know that's very
reliable for console clients. But, Mike, are you actually getting sound,
including TTS, from qemu guest vms? Can you run NVDA in a Windows guest
on a Linux qemu host, for instance?

Janina

John G Heim writes:

> Sorry for the late reply but I was out of town last week. I use virtualbox
> all the time. But I do almost everything via the command line. The GUI for
> virtualbox has some problems but it's not totally unusable. I think you can
> do everything via the command line though. I'm not sure how virtualbox's
> support for sound compares to other hypervisors. Sound can be tricky in
> virtualbox virtual machines. I have never been able to finx an incantation
> that works every time. It always seems to me that one configuration works on
> one virtual machine and does not work the next time I try it. There are a
> lot of different combinations of parameters to set so it can be a difficult
> process to find the right one depending on the host and guest operating
> system. I suspect that is something you just have to live with on virtual
> machines in general. I haven't used vmware in a long time but it was the
> same thing then. I used to have a heck of a time getting sound working in a
> vmware virtual machine.
>
> done.
>

> On 11/17/2017 04:41 AM, Nick Wood wrote:
> > Thanks both - I'll try Virt-Manager and VirtualBox - it's been a long
> > time since I've tried VirtualBox so maybe it works better these days
> > with Orca.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nick

> > GNOME Universal Access guide:
> > https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
> > Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:[hidden email]
                Email: [hidden email]

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

Mike Gorse-2
Hi Janina,

Yes, I'm getting sound from within a vm. I mostly use VMs to install/test
different versions of SLED and sometimes openSUSE, but I've set up a win10
vm before, and I believe I had NVDA installed there. Here is part of a
script that I use to launch it:

if [ x"$1" == "xwin10" ]; then
   qemu-kvm -m 4096 -soundhw hda -usb -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device e1000,netdev=mynet0 -display gtk -hda $1.img
   # if installing, add: -cdrom win10.iso
fi

That being said, I see from another thread that you have a rather
complicated sound setup, so I don't know if that would do exactly what you
want, but, regardless, it might be worth experimenting with it.

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017, Janina Sajka via orca-list wrote:

> All the complexity with sound on Linux has kept me away from graphical
> vms hosted on Linux. I had very few issues with sound on my Mac Airbook
> using VMware.
>
> So, I'm very interested to hear Mike propose qemu. I know that's very
> reliable for console clients. But, Mike, are you actually getting sound,
> including TTS, from qemu guest vms? Can you run NVDA in a Windows guest
> on a Linux qemu host, for instance?
>
> Janina

Re: [orca-list] Virtualisation software that works well with Orca

Peter Vágner-3
I do have similar script to Mike's and before starting qemu I am setting this variable to force qemu to use pulseaudio for sound.
export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa

And when the guest machine is running I can move its corresponding pulse source-output to whatever sink i.e. if I want to showcase what the VM is playing to my colleagues I will route it to the device with loud speakers connected. For my tinkering I can move it to my bluetooth headset to tinker with.
It works reliably and I am even running Windows 10 this way occassionally.

I am sure qemu can use alsa directly and it hopefully also has some kind of configuration so you can configure its output and input audio device so after digging a bit to the qemu docs you should be able to come up with tweaks for your extensive audio setup.

Greetings

Peter