[orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

[orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

Alex ARNAUD-3
Dear all,

Environment:
- Debian Sid updated
- Thunderbird 52.4
- Orca master

When I'm writing an HTML mail and when I add a link to a line, Orca is
not longer able to read the line.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Open Thunderbird (GTK3 here)
2) Write a new mail (here in a new window)
3) Tab until to switch to the message body
4) Add the following line : "Hello world, I've difficulties to write
HTML mail in a productive way"
5) Add link somewhere in two words of the line : maybe add a link to "to
write" that target www.gnome.org
5) Press the return key
6) Press up arrow

Result: Orca stays silent
Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the caret moves on

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

Joanmarie Diggs
Hi Alex and Jean-Philippe.

This single reply is to acknowledge all of your reports and indicate
I've added them to my todo list. Thanks!
--joanie

On 12/02/2017 09:36 AM, Alex ARNAUD wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Environment:
> - Debian Sid updated
> - Thunderbird 52.4
> - Orca master
>
> When I'm writing an HTML mail and when I add a link to a line, Orca is
> not longer able to read the line.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) Open Thunderbird (GTK3 here)
> 2) Write a new mail (here in a new window)
> 3) Tab until to switch to the message body
> 4) Add the following line : "Hello world, I've difficulties to write
> HTML mail in a productive way"
> 5) Add link somewhere in two words of the line : maybe add a link to "to
> write" that target www.gnome.org
> 5) Press the return key
> 6) Press up arrow
>
> Result: Orca stays silent
> Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the caret moves on
>
> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

Joanmarie Diggs
Hi Alex.

This is now fixed for me in master. Please test and let me know. Thanks!
--joanie

On 12/02/2017 09:36 AM, Alex ARNAUD wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Environment:
> - Debian Sid updated
> - Thunderbird 52.4
> - Orca master
>
> When I'm writing an HTML mail and when I add a link to a line, Orca is
> not longer able to read the line.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) Open Thunderbird (GTK3 here)
> 2) Write a new mail (here in a new window)
> 3) Tab until to switch to the message body
> 4) Add the following line : "Hello world, I've difficulties to write
> HTML mail in a productive way"
> 5) Add link somewhere in two words of the line : maybe add a link to "to
> write" that target www.gnome.org
> 5) Press the return key
> 6) Press up arrow
>
> Result: Orca stays silent
> Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the caret moves on
>
> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

Alex ARNAUD-3
Hi Joanie,

I confirm that this bug is fixed in master. Thanks a lot !

Best regards.
--

Le 02/12/2017 à 17:47, Joanmarie Diggs a écrit :

> Hi Alex.
>
> This is now fixed for me in master. Please test and let me know. Thanks!
> --joanie
>
> On 12/02/2017 09:36 AM, Alex ARNAUD wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Environment:
>> - Debian Sid updated
>> - Thunderbird 52.4
>> - Orca master
>>
>> When I'm writing an HTML mail and when I add a link to a line, Orca is
>> not longer able to read the line.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> 1) Open Thunderbird (GTK3 here)
>> 2) Write a new mail (here in a new window)
>> 3) Tab until to switch to the message body
>> 4) Add the following line : "Hello world, I've difficulties to write
>> HTML mail in a productive way"
>> 5) Add link somewhere in two words of the line : maybe add a link to "to
>> write" that target www.gnome.org
>> 5) Press the return key
>> 6) Press up arrow
>>
>> Result: Orca stays silent
>> Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the caret moves on
>>
>> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

Peter Vágner-3
Hello,

I am afraid this might be causing a huge regression when browsing the web with Firefox.
Environment: Gnome 3.26, orca master (since 7c4971022), Firefox 57 or Firefox 59.
Steps:
- Go to gmail.com and open a conversation from your inbox.
- Make sure orca is running and providing the access to the gmail UI including the conversation you have just opened.
- Now press the alt+left arrow instructing Firefox to move to the previous page.
Results:
Gmail inbox is displayed however orca stops responding. It fails to present the browser window and also all the other windows when switched into by pressing alt+tab key.
More over I assume this might even be related to at-spi2-core because if I now press alt+super+s to toggle orca it will turn of with Screen reader off message but I can only get it toggled back on by running orca --replace.
Expected result:
I am expecting orca to not become unresponsive and continue reporting the web content and all the other windows when switched into them the same way it's doing in orca master up to 752d0443d .
In other words orca master 752d0443d is working fine in regard to this issue and orca master 7c4971022 has issues.

Thanks and greetings

Peter

[...]

Thanks Peter. I'll take a look.
--joanie

On 12/06/2017 03:57 AM, Peter Vágner wrote:

> [...]
>             3) Tab until to switch to the message body
>             4) Add the following line : "Hello world, I've difficulties
>             to write
>             HTML mail in a productive way"
>             5) Add link somewhere in two words of the line : maybe add a
>             link to "to
>             write" that target www.gnome.org <http://www.gnome.org>
>             5) Press the return key
>             6) Press up arrow
>
>             Result: Orca stays silent
>             Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the
>             caret moves on
>
>             Best regards.

>     GNOME Universal Access guide:
>     https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>     <https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html>
>     Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

I'm not seeing this problem. I'm using Orca master and Firefox nightly.
I can take a guess at a fix, but the fix I have in mind might also not
work. How reliably can you reproduce this bug?

> [...]

>             3) Tab until to switch to the message body
>             4) Add the following line : "Hello world, I've difficulties
>             to write
>             HTML mail in a productive way"
>             5) Add link somewhere in two words of the line : maybe add a
>             link to "to
>             write" that target www.gnome.org <http://www.gnome.org>
>             5) Press the return key
>             6) Press up arrow
>
>             Result: Orca stays silent
>             Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the
>             caret moves on
>
>             Best regards.

>     GNOME Universal Access guide:
>     https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>     <https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html>
>     Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

I can reproduce it all the time.

The orca goes unresponsive and as soon as I try to exit it at-spi2 crashes.

I am not sure what triggers it because I am getting it all the time when the document content refreshes on gmail.

I'm running all the relevant libs with debug symbols included (at-spi2-core, glibc, glib2, libffi, pygobject, python) so I am going to send you all the debug stuff I was able to collect in a seperate message.
If you think I can provide more details, I will do that please let me know what to add or what to check if you know that.

Greetings

Peter

> [...]

>             line, Orca is
>             not longer able to read the line.
>
>             Steps to reproduce:
>             1) Open Thunderbird (GTK3 here)
>             2) Write a new mail (here in a new window)
>             3) Tab until to switch to the message body
>             4) Add the following line : "Hello world, I've difficulties
>             to write
>             HTML mail in a productive way"
>             5) Add link somewhere in two words of the line : maybe add a
>             link to "to
>             write" that target www.gnome.org <http://www.gnome.org>
>             5) Press the return key
>             6) Press up arrow
>
>             Result: Orca stays silent
>             Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the
>             caret moves on
>
>             Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

I just removed the sanity check that appears to be triggering the crash.
Please pull master and test again. Thanks!
--joanie

On 12/07/2017 03:21 AM, Peter Vágner wrote:

> [...]
>     <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Orca>
>     >     <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Orca
>     <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Orca>>
>     >     Orca documentation: https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/
>     <https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/>
>     >     <https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/
>     <https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/>>
>     >     GNOME Universal Access guide:
>     >     https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>     <https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html>
>     >     <https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>     <https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html>>
>     >     Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org
>     >
>     >

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

Orca is now responsive when using Gmail again.

Frankly I'm getting lost in the chain of issues and their workarounds that I can't really say if we are in a good state now.

Are both issues supposed to be addressed now, i.e. the one raised by Alex and the freezing / crash I have pointed out?

Thanks and greetings

Peter

> [...]

>     add a
>     >             link to "to
>     >             write" that target www.gnome.org
>     <http://www.gnome.org> <http://www.gnome.org>
>     >             5) Press the return key
>     >             6) Press up arrow
>     >
>     >             Result: Orca stays silent
>     >             Expected result: Orca should announce the line when the
>     >             caret moves on
>     >
>     >             Best regards.
>     >
>     >
>     >     orca-list mailing list
>     >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird : when writing mail, Orca stops to read lines with link

I believe both issues are addressed. What I changed was to handle a
potential edge case. The worst case is if that edge case is not
addressed, Orca will repeat something. That's better than a crash.