[orca-list] Testers of Slint64-14.2RC2 reporting no sound in graphical environment

[orca-list] Testers of Slint64-14.2RC2 reporting no sound in graphical environment

Didier Spaier
Hello,

I received two reports that puzzle me of testers of Slint64-14.2.1RC2:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/
One is in this post:
https://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7462#p43392
cut here
Further, there was no /dev/audio during past boots.
So my program "saytime" would not work.
I copied /dev/audio over from Slint-32 and saytime is working and
/dev/audio survives a reboot sofar.

This user actually installed RC then upgraded using these instructions:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/upgrade/README-UPGRADE
and maybe alos those:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/upgrade/from-rc-to-rc2

This is a sighted user so I am just puzzled how that could happen.

The second report worries me more, as the tester, Aiyumi in CC, is blind
and skilled: she actually got me started making Slint accessible with
this blog post:
http://aiyumi.warpstar.net/en/blog/installing-orca-on-slackware-14.2/

She installed anew from this ISO:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/slint64-14.2.1RC2.iso
Starting the system after installation in text mode she got sound from
speakup, but no sound in graphical environment after having typed
startx.

I tried the same thing an got sound from orca.

I am now thinking that the issue could be related to pulseaudio and or
alsa rather than to the a11y stack itself, as we start pulseaudio system
wide but without any specific setting that maybe we miss. The daemon is
started like this as shown in /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio:
/usr/bin/pulseaudio --system --disallow-module-loading 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null &

Any hint or clue to investigate this issue is appreciated. I am
forwarding Aiyumi's last post below.

Greetings,

Didier

Forwarded message  begins here
Sujet : Re: Slint 14.2.1rc2, last call for testing.
Date : Sun, 19 Nov 2017 21:27:58 -0200
De : Aiyumi Moriya
Pour : Didier Spaier

> I just installed anew RC2 from this file:
> http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/slint64-14.2.1RC2.iso

Yes, that's the one I installed.

> When asked I pressed S to have speech during installation, that I did in
> French. When asked I chose to start in Console mode.
>
> At first reboot I had speech on the console, and after startx I had
> speech on the desktop.

After reboot I had speech on the console, but after "startx" I had no
speech on the desktop. I created a new user, then did "orca-on" then
"startx," but nothing. I didn't try runlevelconfig or anything else.

> So, I really don't know from where come your issue. Did you reformat the
> root partition when installing, setting up a new filesystem  in it?

Yes, I reformated the root partition. The home partition is shared
with another Slackware install, but that's why I created a new user
(to start with a fresh user with no interference from the files from
the other system's user). But it didn't work. I also tried unmounting
the home partition and creating a new user in the root partition, but
it didn't work, either.

Here are the checks from the previous message:

> A few things to check, even though you probably already did:
> - is the user member of the audio group?

Yes. And pulse group too.

> - are the Atspi, and Orca owned by the user?

Yes.

> - is /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio executable?

Yes.

> - aren't there stale file lying around, that should have been
>   removed? For instance:
>  /etc/xdg/autostart.desktop
>  /usr/share/autostart/startorca.desktop
>  /usr/share/autostart/orca.snip?

No. It's a clean install. I formated the root partition before installing.

> - does ~/.profile only contains
> cut here
> export PAGER=/usr/bin/most
> export GROFF_ENCODING=UTF-8
> export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/dev/shm/$(whoami)
> mkdir -p /dev/shm/$(whoami)
> chmod 700 /dev/shm/$(whoami)
> export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$XDG_CACHE_HOME
> cut here

Yes.

> - do you have a file ~/auto/startorca.desktop with this content:
> cut here
> [Desktop Entry]
> Type=Application
> Version=1.0
> Name=orca
> Exec=/usr/bin/orca
> Hidden=false
> cut here

Yes.

> - if you made any upgrade using slapt-get --upgrade, did you
> run "dotnew" as root after that?

I only installed Slint and didn't upgrade anything.

Re: [orca-list] Testers of Slint64-14.2RC2 reporting no sound in graphical environment

Peter Vágner-3
Hello,

What an ancient app the first tester is running it expects to have /dev/audio device available. I feel this is an oss legacy stuff which is being emulated by alsa as /dev/dsp . Perhaps your tester has just copied a symlink from his other system as a workaround. I would say this might just be a configuration issue and not a bug.

As for the other more serious issue I don't know. I haven't yet made up my mind. I have only downloaded RC2 about two hours ago and I am about to install it tonight trying out the install, trying out speechd-el and other stuff we have been talking about recently.

Thanks and Greetings

Peter

Date : Sun, 19 Nov 2017 21:27:58 -0200
De : Aiyumi Moriya
Pour : Didier Spaier

> I just installed anew RC2 from this file:
> http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/slint64-14.2.1RC2.iso

Yes, that's the one I installed.

> When asked I pressed S to have speech during installation, that I did in
> French. When asked I chose to start in Console mode.
>
> At first reboot I had speech on the console, and after startx I had
> speech on the desktop.

After reboot I had speech on the console, but after "startx" I had no
speech on the desktop. I created a new user, then did "orca-on" then
"startx," but nothing. I didn't try runlevelconfig or anything else.

> So, I really don't know from where come your issue. Did you reformat the
> root partition when installing, setting up a new filesystem  in it?

Yes, I reformated the root partition. The home partition is shared
with another Slackware install, but that's why I created a new user
(to start with a fresh user with no interference from the files from
the other system's user). But it didn't work. I also tried unmounting
the home partition and creating a new user in the root partition, but
it didn't work, either.

Here are the checks from the previous message:

> A few things to check, even though you probably already did:
> - is the user member of the audio group?

Yes. And pulse group too.

> - are the Atspi, and Orca owned by the user?

Yes.

> - is /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio executable?

Yes.

> - aren't there stale file lying around, that should have been
>   removed? For instance:
>  /etc/xdg/autostart.desktop
>  /usr/share/autostart/startorca.desktop
>  /usr/share/autostart/orca.snip?

No. It's a clean install. I formated the root partition before installing.

> - does ~/.profile only contains
> cut here
> export PAGER=/usr/bin/most
> export GROFF_ENCODING=UTF-8
> export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/dev/shm/$(whoami)
> mkdir -p /dev/shm/$(whoami)
> chmod 700 /dev/shm/$(whoami)
> export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$XDG_CACHE_HOME
> cut here

Yes.

> - do you have a file ~/auto/startorca.desktop with this content:
> cut here
> [Desktop Entry]
> Type=Application
> Version=1.0
> Name=orca
> Exec=/usr/bin/orca
> Hidden=false
> cut here

Yes.

> - if you made any upgrade using slapt-get --upgrade, did you
> run "dotnew" as root after that?

I only installed Slint and didn't upgrade anything.

Re: [orca-list] Testers of Slint64-14.2RC2 reporting no sound in graphical environment

Jude DaShiell-2
I got espeak working and once graphical mode was started using startx I
needed to turn the screen reader on and the speech only gave me the
start up message then no more.  I have more testing to try in that
environment later probably once the screen reader is running try to get
into its preferences.
Another problem, I only have a wifi connection here for computers and
this time nmtui failed to work for me.  Two problems first after
deleting the ethernet connection I had to do that earlier to get my
network name to come up this time my network name did not come up and
I'm using the same adapter to write this message on panix1.panix.com on
a different computer.  The main computer is far older than what I tested
slint on this time too.  I think I'll do a reinstall and not install kde
and see what other options are available to configure networks other
than networkmanager on this system.  Maybe if another exists it might
work bettter this time.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Didier Spaier wrote:

> [...]
>> export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/dev/shm/$(whoami)
>> mkdir -p /dev/shm/$(whoami)
>> chmod 700 /dev/shm/$(whoami)
>> export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$XDG_CACHE_HOME
>> cut here
>
> Yes.
>
>> - do you have a file ~/auto/startorca.desktop with this content:
>> cut here
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Type=Application
>> Version=1.0
>> Name=orca
>> Exec=/usr/bin/orca
>> Hidden=false
>> cut here
>
> Yes.
>
>> - if you made any upgrade using slapt-get --upgrade, did you
>> run "dotnew" as root after that?
>
> I only installed Slint and didn't upgrade anything.

Re: [orca-list] Testers of Slint64-14.2RC2 reporting no sound in graphical environment

I forgot to mention a difference between old computer and new computer is
new computer has an hdmi card on it. On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Didier Spaier