[orca-list] Sound icons in Orca

Vojtěch Šmiro
Hello.

Is some way to make sound icons in Orca? I would like to have this. Orca
will not say buttons, links, checkboxes, but it wil play sound. Is it
possible?

Thanks.

Best regards

Vojta.

Re: [orca-list] Sound icons in Orca

Peter Vágner-3
Hello,

Currently orca is doing almost no audio except of progressbar beeps. In order to this to be usefull and robust enough I think orca needs something similar that's currently being happening at NVDA for Windows.
See here for an awesome pull request to NVDA for some inspiration: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/7599

Greetings

Peter

Hello.

Is some way to make sound icons in Orca? I would like to have this. Orca will not say buttons, links, checkboxes, but it wil play sound. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Best regards

Vojta.

Re: [orca-list] Sound icons in Orca

Peter Vágner-3
Hello,

The original concept was that speech-dispatcher would replace parts of the text it has been instructed to synthesize to sound rather than speech. There is a set of sound icons with predefined constants such as new line, prompt and a lot more.
If this approach should be used then orca have to be adapted to use it the similar way as speechd-el does.

Given the fact orca is dependent on other packages for reporting roles and their states and the fact orca is being translated into various languages I am not sure hooking sound icons at such a level is a good idea.
Someone who knows more about these things should perhaps try to explain how usefull this would be and what shal be done in order to make it work or even whether this is the way to go.

Greetings

Peter

Hello,

It is a package, witch name is: sound-icons

This package is for speech dispatcher, for synthesizers, not for Orca.

But I have it, and sounds are not played.

I have no idea, how to run this function. Configuration of sound-icons you can find in: /usr/share/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak.conf and espeak-ng.conf

Greetings,

Paulina

W dniu 20.11.2017 o 11:24, Peter Vágner pisze:
Hello,

Currently orca is doing almost no audio except of progressbar beeps. In order to this to be usefull and robust enough I think orca needs something similar that's currently being happening at NVDA for Windows.
See here for an awesome pull request to NVDA for some inspiration: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/7599

Greetings

Peter

Hello.

Is some way to make sound icons in Orca? I would like to have this. Orca will not say buttons, links, checkboxes, but it wil play sound. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Best regards

Vojta.

Re: [orca-list] Sound icons in Orca

chrys-2
Howdy,

Storm and me started something like this some months ago. but we never finished. maybe somewone wants to pick up this work. It stalled because... hmm i dont know lol. lost interest maybe.
https://github.com/chrys87/orca-beep/commits/soundicons

it was just an first try but it was able to play soundicons for different roles and toggle of browse/focus mode in browser. some issues in say all and cleanup is needed.

cheers chrys
Am 20.11.2017 um 11:24 schrieb Peter Vágner:
Hello,

Currently orca is doing almost no audio except of progressbar beeps. In order to this to be usefull and robust enough I think orca needs something similar that's currently being happening at NVDA for Windows.
See here for an awesome pull request to NVDA for some inspiration: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/7599

Greetings

Peter

Hello.

Is some way to make sound icons in Orca? I would like to have this. Orca will not say buttons, links, checkboxes, but it wil play sound. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Best regards

Vojta.

Re: [orca-list] Sound icons in Orca

Joanmarie Diggs
Hi Vojta, all.

If you already have sound files, as opposed to tones to be generated, I
believe I already put that support in place a few years ago as an
"experimental feature." (i.e. no documentation or GUI until we had some
real-world stuff to work with).

Around that time, I put out a request for people to provide a set of
sound files appropriate to the purpose you describe -- and which I could
either include in Orca or which we could link to on the wiki. After I
worked out any kinks, I planned to document it and enable GUI support.
And if memory serves me, the lack of responses is where things stalled.

So.... I'll use this message as a re-request. If someone is good at
sound themes and wants to provide a me a set of files for roles, state
changes, and the like, let me know. Then I'll plug it in and folks can
play with it.

Thanks!
--joanie

On 11/14/2017 06:16 AM, Vojtěch šmiro wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is some way to make sound icons in Orca? I would like to have this. Orca
> will not say buttons, links, checkboxes, but it wil play sound. Is it
> possible?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards
>
> Vojta.
> GNOME Universal Access guide:
> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
> Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] Sound icons in Orca

Alex ARNAUD-3
Le 21/11/2017 à 22:11, Joanmarie Diggs a écrit :
> So.... I'll use this message as a re-request. If someone is good at
> sound themes and wants to provide a me a set of files for roles, state
> changes, and the like, let me know. Then I'll plug it in and folks can
> play with it.

Hello Joanie,

Do you think the Android Talkback theme could be used inside Orca ?

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager

Re: [orca-list] Sound icons in Orca

Peter Vágner-3
Hello,

We do have many more roles and states on the gnome desktop than there are on android / talkback and also they are using midi for some of their sounds so I would say it won't be very easy to use their sounds.

However as an addition we might also like to borrow some sounds from this NVDA addon created by Austin Hicks and Bryan Smart http://camlorn.net/pages/unspoken.html .

Greetings

Peter