[orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make Skype 8 accessible

[orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make Skype 8 accessible

Alex ARNAUD-3
Dear all,

On the Microsoft forum Skype team has announced that Skype 4.3 is not
longer accessible since today :
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_linux-skype_startms-skype_installms/end-of-life-of-skype-for-linux-43/70fe7036-ddf3-4fa3-9c06-1bca3ec0226c

I've answer to the first post to explain the accessibility issue but I
need the help of more people to be sure we could find a solution.

Could you answer to the thread to report to the Skype team chat we need
an API to use Pidgin for example and we need to have a Skype accessible
on Linux ?

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager

Re: [orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make Skype 8 accessible

Michał Zegan
maybe chromevox could be integrated there? it is chromium engine after
all, and it is possible skype by itself is accessible and the only thing
that prevents it from working is not their fault.

W dniu 22.11.2017 o 16:07, Alex ARNAUD pisze:

> Dear all,
>
> On the Microsoft forum Skype team has announced that Skype 4.3 is not
> longer accessible since today :
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_linux-skype_startms-skype_installms/end-of-life-of-skype-for-linux-43/70fe7036-ddf3-4fa3-9c06-1bca3ec0226c
>

> I've answer to the first post to explain the accessibility issue but I
> need the help of more people to be sure we could find a solution.
>
> Could you answer to the thread to report to the Skype team chat we need
> an API to use Pidgin for example and we need to have a Skype accessible
> on Linux ?
>
> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make Skype 8 accessible

Javier Hernandez
Hi Michal,

as far as I know, the new skype for linux is an electron app. From an end-user point of view, it's just an application where web.skype.com is embedded and that includes the required plumbing around having the audio/video/notifications working at the OS level. So yes, there is a chromium engine involved, but not in a way we can add the chromevox extension. As far as I can tell, the accessibility issues are the same we're facing with chromium/chrome web browsers. Others, including Alex, can explain better than me what is the current status of it.

wrt Skype's API, probably they just decided to stop providing such API since they have moved skype into the "cloud" (web.skype.com), and it's true that you can use skype from any web browser of your choice. My experience so far with web skype is terrible, we use Skype at work and sometimes I'm not able to even log in, which is very disappointing. Of course I always have a backup solution, which involves using Skype on a Win/Mac OS, which is pretty unacceptable in my opinion. That said, I'd like to think that the Skype Team is already aware of the problems and that they will be addressing them as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Javi

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Michał Zegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
maybe chromevox could be integrated there? it is chromium engine after
all, and it is possible skype by itself is accessible and the only thing
that prevents it from working is not their fault.

W dniu 22.11.2017 o 16:07, Alex ARNAUD pisze:
> Dear all,
>
> On the Microsoft forum Skype team has announced that Skype 4.3 is not
> longer accessible since today :
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_linux-skype_startms-skype_installms/end-of-life-of-skype-for-linux-43/70fe7036-ddf3-4fa3-9c06-1bca3ec0226c
>

> I've answer to the first post to explain the accessibility issue but I
> need the help of more people to be sure we could find a solution.
>
> Could you answer to the thread to report to the Skype team chat we need
> an API to use Pidgin for example and we need to have a Skype accessible
> on Linux ?
>
> Best regards.

Re: [orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make Skype 8 accessible

Jude DaShiell-2
on Slint RC2, chromium was made able to talk once speech-dispatcher got
started up in it correctly.  Orca has to be turned off though to use
chromium with speech-dispatcher though.  I don't know how far this will
get anyone with current flavor of skype though.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017, Javier Hernandez wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:34:26
> From: Javier Hernandez <[hidden email]>
> To: Micha? Zegan <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Orca List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make
>     Skype 8 accessible
>
> Hi Michal,
>
> as far as I know, the new skype for linux is an electron app. From an
> end-user point of view, it's just an application where web.skype.com is
> embedded and that includes the required plumbing around having the
> audio/video/notifications working at the OS level. So yes, there is a
> chromium engine involved, but not in a way we can add the chromevox
> extension. As far as I can tell, the accessibility issues are the same
> we're facing with chromium/chrome web browsers. Others, including Alex, can
> explain better than me what is the current status of it.
>
> wrt Skype's API, probably they just decided to stop providing such API
> since they have moved skype into the "cloud" (web.skype.com), and it's true
> that you can use skype from any web browser of your choice. My experience
> so far with web skype is terrible, we use Skype at work and sometimes I'm
> not able to even log in, which is very disappointing. Of course I always
> have a backup solution, which involves using Skype on a Win/Mac OS, which
> is pretty unacceptable in my opinion. That said, I'd like to think that the
> Skype Team is already aware of the problems and that they will be
> addressing them as soon as possible.
>
> Best regards,
> Javi
>

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Micha? Zegan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> maybe chromevox could be integrated there? it is chromium engine after
>> all, and it is possible skype by itself is accessible and the only thing
>> that prevents it from working is not their fault.
>>
>> W dniu 22.11.2017 o 16:07, Alex ARNAUD pisze:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> On the Microsoft forum Skype team has announced that Skype 4.3 is not
>>> longer accessible since today :
>>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_linux-
>> skype_startms-skype_installms/end-of-life-of-skype-for-
>> linux-43/70fe7036-ddf3-4fa3-9c06-1bca3ec0226c
>>>

>>> I've answer to the first post to explain the accessibility issue but I
>>> need the help of more people to be sure we could find a solution.
>>>
>>> Could you answer to the thread to report to the Skype team chat we need
>>> an API to use Pidgin for example and we need to have a Skype accessible
>>> on Linux ?
>>>
>>> Best regards.

>> gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>> Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make Skype 8 accessible

Tyna Pelletier-Bilodeau
For those of you that aren't aware, there is
https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin/tree/master/skypeweb

It doesn't allow you to call, but you can at leastwrite to people.
Personnally if I could speak I'd use chromium+chromevox for calls and
content myself with pidgin for the rest.

-------- Message original --------