[orca-list] Christmas gift preparation, accessibility concern

[orca-list] Christmas gift preparation, accessibility concern

Doug Smith-4

Ok, I am getting an Amazon Echo for Christmas this year.  This sounds
like a lot of fun, doesn't it?  I wonder if anyone else on here has one
and can describe the experience of setting it up with the web interface
and using the Alexa skills kit.

I hope I am not in for any humbug surprises come Christmas morning and
have to have some eyes help me set something up that's already supposed
to be accessible.

Everything on here's working at peak performance levels right now, and
the number of accessibility problems as of yesterday stands at 0 because
I had a sound outage and had to reinstall over the weekend.  This
idistro is really hot as far as accessibility.

The latest version of antergos is working right.  The only trouble is
that fenrir will not talk on here, and getting speakup to work anymore
is hopeless since they moved it to staging.

Thanks for any info.

Doug Smith.

Re: [orca-list] Christmas gift preparation, accessibility concern

Nick Wood
Hi Doug,

I've had my Echo Dot for about two weeks now and have had no major
accessibility blockers - sure some things could be better, and you need
to think creatively sometimes, but overall its not been too bad.

Initial Setup:

When you plug in the Echo for the first time, it will create its own
Wifi network.

You are supposed to use the Alexa app on your phone to set up the
device, but I had some accessibility issues with the Android Alexa app
that would have required some sighted assistance.

So instead, I used my laptop to set it up.
(Fedora 26/Orca 3.26/Firefox)

With my laptop connected to my LAN via Ethernet, I connected the Wifi
adapter to the Echo's Wifi network. So my laptop now had two connections
- wired to my LAN and wireless to the Echo.

I then went to alexa.amazon.com in Firefox and followed the setup new
device prompts.

Everything went smoothly and the Echo was up and running in no time.

The Alexa web site works reasonably well with Orca - I'm not sure that
accessibility has necessarily been given the priority it deserves by
Amazon but its certainly not the worst website out there by far.

Alexa Skills Kit:

I assume you're planning on developing your own skills for Alexa if
you're asking about the Alexa Skills Kit.  If so there are two websites
you'll need to get familiar with:
developer.amazon.com is where you create yourself a developer account
and access the Alexa Skills Kit (ASK).

console.aws.amazon.com is where you access the AWS console (Amazon Web
Services) for hosting your LAMBDA functions.

Both these sites are mostly OK - there are a couple of areas where I
struggled, but once you get to know the layout of the pages and where
things appear or pop-up, they're not too bad.

Alexa can be a lot of fun - so enjoy playing around with it and if you
do run into any problems feel free to contact me offlist and I'll do my
best to help.

Regards,

Nick

On 04/12/17 03:36, Doug Smith wrote:

> Ok, I am getting an Amazon Echo for Christmas this year.  This sounds
> like a lot of fun, doesn't it?  I wonder if anyone else on here has one
> and can describe the experience of setting it up with the web interface
> and using the Alexa skills kit.

Re: [orca-list] Christmas gift preparation, accessibility concern

chrys-2
Howdy,

Maybe this is more related to Fenrir or speakup list.

Maybe i can help you out. What kind of setup do you have? Pulseaudio / speech-dispacher? ALSA/ speech-dispacher? Others?

Did you:
1. Run fenrirs configure pulse script?
2. Run "su -c spd-conf" to create a congiguration for root?
3. Install all dependencys?
Hear the startup sound when starting fenrir?

Cheers Chrys