[orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

[orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Gnome Orca mailing list
Hi, John:

I noted one comment in your post re pulseaudio that I want to respond
to.

John G Heim writes:
> ... you can never guarantee that hardware
> devices are discovered in the same order. ...

No, but you can control the card order they're assigned, e.g. via
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf using vid= and pid= params for multiple USB
sound cards.

The best on line summary of available approaches I've found to date is
at:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards

I'm currently working through the above as I have a nagging problem
every time I'm forced to reboot, e.g. after installing a new Linux
kernel.

My problem is that my hda device isn't always discovered. This morning I
ran a system update and had to reboot some 30 times before my Intel-810
hda device was discovered. I've looked in the logs. The problem is the
system is literally not seeing the device on most boots, yet once
loaded, it runs perfectly for days and weeks.

According to the above referenced article, there are approaches I might
try to resolve my problem without rebooting. And, it seems my current
ordering config code could be updated, too.

Nevertheless, I offer my current code because it does work to reliably
order my 5 sound devices. The always come up in the order defined below.
My only issue is whether, or not card 0 has been found, else the
remaining devices are shifted by 1--which doesn't help my situation as I
need the headset to match my configured FreeSwitch config, just as one
example.

<begin config file code>
alias snd-card-0 snd-hd-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
alias snd-card-1 headset
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-usb-audio index=1 vid=0x1395 pid=0x3556
alias snd-card-2 cmedia
options snd-card-2 index=2
options snd-usb-audio index=2 vid=0x0d8c pid=0x000c
alias snd-card-3 ice
options snd-card-3 index=3
options snd-ice1724 index=3
alias snd-card-4 hdsp
options snd-card-4 index=4
options snd-hdsp index=4
<end config file code>

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Michał Zegan
actually from what i know, pulseaudio does not go by ordering, but it
prioritizes cards based on type like internal card vs usb card vs
whatever... etc

W dniu 19.08.2017 o 19:56, Janina Sajka via orca-list pisze:

> Hi, John:
>
> I noted one comment in your post re pulseaudio that I want to respond
> to.
>
> John G Heim writes:
>> ... you can never guarantee that hardware
>> devices are discovered in the same order. ...
>
> No, but you can control the card order they're assigned, e.g. via
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf using vid= and pid= params for multiple USB
> sound cards.
>
> The best on line summary of available approaches I've found to date is
> at:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
>
> I'm currently working through the above as I have a nagging problem
> every time I'm forced to reboot, e.g. after installing a new Linux
> kernel.
>
> My problem is that my hda device isn't always discovered. This morning I
> ran a system update and had to reboot some 30 times before my Intel-810
> hda device was discovered. I've looked in the logs. The problem is the
> system is literally not seeing the device on most boots, yet once
> loaded, it runs perfectly for days and weeks.
>
> According to the above referenced article, there are approaches I might
> try to resolve my problem without rebooting. And, it seems my current
> ordering config code could be updated, too.
>
> Nevertheless, I offer my current code because it does work to reliably
> order my 5 sound devices. The always come up in the order defined below.
> My only issue is whether, or not card 0 has been found, else the
> remaining devices are shifted by 1--which doesn't help my situation as I
> need the headset to match my configured FreeSwitch config, just as one
> example.
>
> <begin config file code>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hd-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
> alias snd-card-1 headset
> options snd-card-1 index=1
> options snd-usb-audio index=1 vid=0x1395 pid=0x3556
> alias snd-card-2 cmedia
> options snd-card-2 index=2
> options snd-usb-audio index=2 vid=0x0d8c pid=0x000c
> alias snd-card-3 ice
> options snd-card-3 index=3
> options snd-ice1724 index=3
> alias snd-card-4 hdsp
> options snd-card-4 index=4
> options snd-hdsp index=4
> <end config file code>

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Gnome Orca mailing list

Micha:

For me this is yet another reason to stay away from pulse. The last
thing I need with 5 sound cards is having some bot deciding which ones
should do what, and in what order. I have no use for machines that
ignore my specified configurations to make up their own.

In other words, this is just another way for things to break.

Janina

Michał Zegan writes:

> actually from what i know, pulseaudio does not go by ordering, but it
> prioritizes cards based on type like internal card vs usb card vs
> whatever... etc
>
> W dniu 19.08.2017 o 19:56, Janina Sajka via orca-list pisze:
> > Hi, John:
> >
> > I noted one comment in your post re pulseaudio that I want to respond
> > to.
> >
> > John G Heim writes:
> >> ... you can never guarantee that hardware
> >> devices are discovered in the same order. ...
> >
> > No, but you can control the card order they're assigned, e.g. via
> > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf using vid= and pid= params for multiple USB
> > sound cards.
> >
> > The best on line summary of available approaches I've found to date is
> > at:
> >
> > http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
> >
> > I'm currently working through the above as I have a nagging problem
> > every time I'm forced to reboot, e.g. after installing a new Linux
> > kernel.
> >
> > My problem is that my hda device isn't always discovered. This morning I
> > ran a system update and had to reboot some 30 times before my Intel-810
> > hda device was discovered. I've looked in the logs. The problem is the
> > system is literally not seeing the device on most boots, yet once
> > loaded, it runs perfectly for days and weeks.
> >
> > According to the above referenced article, there are approaches I might
> > try to resolve my problem without rebooting. And, it seems my current
> > ordering config code could be updated, too.
> >
> > Nevertheless, I offer my current code because it does work to reliably
> > order my 5 sound devices. The always come up in the order defined below.
> > My only issue is whether, or not card 0 has been found, else the
> > remaining devices are shifted by 1--which doesn't help my situation as I
> > need the headset to match my configured FreeSwitch config, just as one
> > example.
> >
> > <begin config file code>
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-hd-intel
> > options snd-card-0 index=0
> > options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
> > alias snd-card-1 headset
> > options snd-card-1 index=1
> > options snd-usb-audio index=1 vid=0x1395 pid=0x3556
> > alias snd-card-2 cmedia
> > options snd-card-2 index=2
> > options snd-usb-audio index=2 vid=0x0d8c pid=0x000c
> > alias snd-card-3 ice
> > options snd-card-3 index=3
> > options snd-ice1724 index=3
> > alias snd-card-4 hdsp
> > options snd-card-4 index=4
> > options snd-hdsp index=4
> > <end config file code>

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:[hidden email]
                Email: [hidden email]

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Michał Zegan
well, normal desktop users vs advanced users vs what? I do not want my
usb card to suddenly become preferred without any warning because it was
detected as first, and have to reconfigure it then.

W dniu 19.08.2017 o 20:24, Janina Sajka pisze:

> Micha:
>
> For me this is yet another reason to stay away from pulse. The last
> thing I need with 5 sound cards is having some bot deciding which ones
> should do what, and in what order. I have no use for machines that
> ignore my specified configurations to make up their own.
>

> In other words, this is just another way for things to break.
>
> Janina
>
> Michał Zegan writes:
>> actually from what i know, pulseaudio does not go by ordering, but it
>> prioritizes cards based on type like internal card vs usb card vs
>> whatever... etc
>>
>> W dniu 19.08.2017 o 19:56, Janina Sajka via orca-list pisze:
>>> Hi, John:
>>>
>>> I noted one comment in your post re pulseaudio that I want to respond
>>> to.

>>> No, but you can control the card order they're assigned, e.g. via
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf using vid= and pid= params for multiple USB
>>> sound cards.
>>>
>>> The best on line summary of available approaches I've found to date is
>>> at:
>>>
>>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
>>>
>>> I'm currently working through the above as I have a nagging problem
>>> every time I'm forced to reboot, e.g. after installing a new Linux
>>> kernel.
>>>
>>> My problem is that my hda device isn't always discovered. This morning I
>>> ran a system update and had to reboot some 30 times before my Intel-810
>>> hda device was discovered. I've looked in the logs. The problem is the
>>> system is literally not seeing the device on most boots, yet once
>>> loaded, it runs perfectly for days and weeks.
>>>
>>> According to the above referenced article, there are approaches I might
>>> try to resolve my problem without rebooting. And, it seems my current
>>> ordering config code could be updated, too.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, I offer my current code because it does work to reliably
>>> order my 5 sound devices. The always come up in the order defined below.
>>> My only issue is whether, or not card 0 has been found, else the
>>> remaining devices are shifted by 1--which doesn't help my situation as I
>>> need the headset to match my configured FreeSwitch config, just as one
>>> example.
>>>
>>> <begin config file code>
>>> alias snd-card-0 snd-hd-intel
>>> options snd-card-0 index=0
>>> options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
>>> alias snd-card-1 headset
>>> options snd-card-1 index=1
>>> options snd-usb-audio index=1 vid=0x1395 pid=0x3556
>>> alias snd-card-2 cmedia
>>> options snd-card-2 index=2
>>> options snd-usb-audio index=2 vid=0x0d8c pid=0x000c
>>> alias snd-card-3 ice
>>> options snd-card-3 index=3
>>> options snd-ice1724 index=3
>>> alias snd-card-4 hdsp
>>> options snd-card-4 index=4
>>> options snd-hdsp index=4
>>> <end config file code>

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

chrys-2
Howdy,

sorry but that is just bullshit lol. Also PA does not choose an random
sound card. it uses that one that you defined as default.
You also can set output devices and prioritys by scripting or
configuration like in alsa... so that argument is just wrong.
  cheers chrys
Am 19.08.2017 um 20:24 schrieb Janina Sajka via orca-list:

> Micha:
>
> For me this is yet another reason to stay away from pulse. The last
> thing I need with 5 sound cards is having some bot deciding which ones
> should do what, and in what order. I have no use for machines that
> ignore my specified configurations to make up their own.
>

> In other words, this is just another way for things to break.
>
> Janina
>
> Michał Zegan writes:
>> actually from what i know, pulseaudio does not go by ordering, but it
>> prioritizes cards based on type like internal card vs usb card vs
>> whatever... etc
>>
>> W dniu 19.08.2017 o 19:56, Janina Sajka via orca-list pisze:
>>> Hi, John:
>>>
>>> I noted one comment in your post re pulseaudio that I want to respond
>>> to.

>>> No, but you can control the card order they're assigned, e.g. via
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf using vid= and pid= params for multiple USB
>>> sound cards.
>>>
>>> The best on line summary of available approaches I've found to date is
>>> at:
>>>
>>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
>>>
>>> I'm currently working through the above as I have a nagging problem
>>> every time I'm forced to reboot, e.g. after installing a new Linux
>>> kernel.
>>>
>>> My problem is that my hda device isn't always discovered. This morning I
>>> ran a system update and had to reboot some 30 times before my Intel-810
>>> hda device was discovered. I've looked in the logs. The problem is the
>>> system is literally not seeing the device on most boots, yet once
>>> loaded, it runs perfectly for days and weeks.
>>>
>>> According to the above referenced article, there are approaches I might
>>> try to resolve my problem without rebooting. And, it seems my current
>>> ordering config code could be updated, too.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, I offer my current code because it does work to reliably
>>> order my 5 sound devices. The always come up in the order defined below.
>>> My only issue is whether, or not card 0 has been found, else the
>>> remaining devices are shifted by 1--which doesn't help my situation as I
>>> need the headset to match my configured FreeSwitch config, just as one
>>> example.
>>>
>>> <begin config file code>
>>> alias snd-card-0 snd-hd-intel
>>> options snd-card-0 index=0
>>> options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
>>> alias snd-card-1 headset
>>> options snd-card-1 index=1
>>> options snd-usb-audio index=1 vid=0x1395 pid=0x3556
>>> alias snd-card-2 cmedia
>>> options snd-card-2 index=2
>>> options snd-usb-audio index=2 vid=0x0d8c pid=0x000c
>>> alias snd-card-3 ice
>>> options snd-card-3 index=3
>>> options snd-ice1724 index=3
>>> alias snd-card-4 hdsp
>>> options snd-card-4 index=4
>>> options snd-hdsp index=4
>>> <end config file code>

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Peter Vágner-3

Hey guys and girls,

I believe both approaches are awesome and good to know for advanced linux users.
Some 10 to 13 years ago when pulseaudio was entirely new thing, alsas device ordering was the only usefull setup for these kinds of configs. I happily used that and it worked. I can imagine Janina is setting up her devices this way even for many more years.
Pulseaudio changed this in a way that ordering is no longer important. It allows us to choose the default audio device and it then allows using other devices for different purposes by moving streams from the default to the desired devices.
Currently I'm using laptop with its built-in loud speakers as the default and I also use bluetooth headset to listen to the sound output of speech-dispatcher. Pulseaudio remembers my choice that I wish to play speech-dispatcher audio through the headset so whenever it's connected it respects my choice. When the headset is disconnected I am not left with no speech-dispatcher audio as pulseaudio is smart enough in this particular case that it keeps speech-dispatcher audio playing through the default audio device.
I'm not sure how would I go about setting this with alsa exclusivelly. Just to make this discussion even more interesting, do you know if something like this would be doable? Is alsas dmix a way to go? If two devices are sharing the same audio path in order to allow stream routing like I have just described, are multiple devices playing the same sound when they are all connected?
Janina, can you plese explain a bit more of your setup. Are you using up to 5 devices simultaneously or are you switching between them?
I would understand 2 or perhaps 3 devices: one for music, movies and general audio, second for accessibility aka TTS, third for phone calls for example.

I'm sorry for drifting a bit off topic here however audio and its setup has always been interesting for me.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 19. 8. 2017 8:40 PM používateľ "chrys" <[hidden email]> napísal:

Rob

Peter Vágner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe both approaches are awesome and good to know for advanced linux
> users.
> Some 10 to 13 years ago when pulseaudio was entirely new thing, alsas
> device ordering was the only usefull setup for these kinds of configs. I
> happily used that and it worked.

Pulse is an awesome, great thing in theory. You can have multiple streams, even over the network, can pick a default audio device no matter the kernel ordering without having to edit files in modprobe.d or /etc/modules or wherever your distro looks for it.
The only problem I have with pulse is that age old thing about not having speech in boht the console and the gui. You had to jump through hoops to get both working. The work around was to do something with pulse starting in daemon or system mode rather than user mode. But pulse didn't like you doing that for some reason.
I haven't played with pulse for a long time, so I don't know if this issue still exists. I'd rather just avoid it entirely where I can.

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Peter Vágner-3

Hello,

Well, there are several possible setups if you do have multiple users and you wish to allow both of them to play sound.
One approach however a bit sluggish is to setup alsa with dmix so multiple pulseaudio instances do have access to the alsa instance.
Another possibility and verified by Chrys, Storm and others running fenrir is starting first pulseaudio instance with a local socket writeable to the users who may also play sound on the system. Then multiple users can play audio through that first pulseaudio instance.
Depending on how one might look at this kind of setup this might be considered as a security concern on a multi-user system. I think it just works. The only issue with that is that this is not very popular setup.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 20. 8. 2017 11:20 AM používateľ "Rob" <[hidden email]> napísal:
Peter Vágner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe both approaches are awesome and good to know for advanced linux
> users.
> Some 10 to 13 years ago when pulseaudio was entirely new thing, alsas
> device ordering was the only usefull setup for these kinds of configs. I
> happily used that and it worked.

Pulse is an awesome, great thing in theory. You can have multiple streams, even over the network, can pick a default audio device no matter the kernel ordering without having to edit files in modprobe.d or /etc/modules or wherever your distro looks for it.
The only problem I have with pulse is that age old thing about not having speech in boht the console and the gui. You had to jump through hoops to get both working. The work around was to do something with pulse starting in daemon or system mode rather than user mode. But pulse didn't like you doing that for some reason.
I haven't played with pulse for a long time, so I don't know if this issue still exists. I'd rather just avoid it entirely where I can.

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Gnome Orca mailing list
Hi, Peter:

Yes, I'm happy to explain how I use my 5 audio devices. First, though, a
couple comments on your other questions.

Yes, I believe you can achieve the results you describe with just ALSA.
The reason it is possible, really, is that pulse itself doesn't replace
alsa, it simply provides another layer of management on top of alsa. In
other words, without the alsa libraries, pulse wouldn't work at all.
Pulse has a dependency on alsa.

I believe the strong reason for using pulse is that it's easier to
configure and control for various kinds of situations, but you can also
do those things, howbeit with more config effort, directly.

Here are two explanations I found in a quick search:

1.) Directing multiple streams to one audio device:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7002423/how-to-mix-multiple-pcm-streams-using-alsa

2.) Sending one source stream to multiple alsa devices:
http://www.6by9.net/output-to-multiple-audio-devices-with-alsa/

OK, now to answer you about how I use my multiple devices ... Note that
these are on a tower system that sits under my desk out of the way, but
where I can easily reach it when I need to do something like mount a USB
stick.

First, before talking about each device that alsa sees, I should explain
that I have all alsa outputs routed into a desktop Mackie 1202 audio
mixer. This is a physical unit that sits on a low shelf on my desk just
behind and a bit above my typing keyboard. It sits where sighted people
might put a display monitor.

This Mackie mixer has physical knobs and switches that I can quickly reach and
adjust as I go through my working day. I can quickly tweak the volume of
any given input, it's pan location, and what output device I want the
sound to go to. I have two sets of speakers in my office and a
Sennheiser headset as potential output for any alsa sound stream from my
computer.

And, yes, I do indeed listen to more than one device simoultaneously in
several situations.

Now to the devices alsa sees.

1.) I have a RME Multiface card--actually one of the very old ones, but it
still works well for what it does. This is my high end audio device that
I use for serious audio work, when I'm creating, editing, or mixing
sound. It's directed to my highest quality speakers generally, though I
can route it's output differently using my Mackie. This device was more
expensive to purchase than the rest of my computer setup combined at the
time I acquired it.

Because the Multiface also sits on my desk, though on a higher shelf,
I'm able to use a different pair of headphones connected directly to it
when useful to do that. My very best headphones tend to be attached to
the Multiface. I can simply reach up with my left hand whenever I want
them.

When I work with ecasound or with sox, I'm generally using the
Multiface. Were audacity on Linux more accessible, I would use audacity
with jack and the Multiface.

I do also just send output there, usually from mplayer, when I want to
enjoy my very best sound.

Here's the appropriate section from /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf for the
Multiface:
<begin code>
alias snd-card-4 hdsp
options snd-card-4 index=4
options snd-hdsp index=4
<end code>

Every time I boot I also run a script that sets appropriate routing and
appropriate volume levels for all the inputs and outputs on the
Multiface. It has 8 analog ins and outs of which I generally use at
least 4, plus digital in and out. I do use the sp/dif, too, but not the
coax.

My $HOME/.asoundrc gives me keyword access to subdevices on this card,
e.g. the Y of plughw:4,Y might be spdif, or tapedeck.

2.) I have an old PCI Chaintech sound card that I picked up years
ago for about $25.  I love the sound I hear from this card, though I
only use it for output. I send my midi to this device. And I send
mplayer output here in situations where I the Multiface may be
unavailable, e.g. when the Multiface is paused in the middle of
something complex in ecasound, so unavailable for general audio
playback.

This card uses the ICE1724 driver. It's my general purpose output
device. Here's it's config:
<begin code>
alias snd-card-3 ice
options snd-card-3 index=3
options snd-ice1724 index=3
<end code>

3.) I have a CE-Media USB sound card permanently attached that I
currently use for speech-dispatcher mediated espeak output for Orca.
This is another cheap device, I believe I paid less than $15 for it. I
use a separate card for speech-dispatcher because speech-dispatcher
hasn't been happy sharing the device I use for Speakup. More on that
below.

Here's it's config. Note the VID= and PID= code:
<begin code>
alias snd-card-2 cmedia
options snd-card-2 index=2
options snd-usb-audio index=2 vid=0x0d8c pid=0x000c
<end code>

4.) I have a Sennheiser PC166 gamer headset that I use for
teleconferences. This is a very important sound card for me because I
spend a lot of time on teleconferences. My setup with the Sennheiser
headset is also preety complex, so there's much to say about this
device.

First my microphone. It goes directly to the 3.5 analog input jack of the
detachable DAC that comes with the Sennheiser. Over the years I've had a
couple Sennheisers that use this detachable DAC. I now carry one with my
laptop for use when I want better sound quality on the road for
music--and no screen reader in the music stream!

The input to the DAC comes from my Mackie's headphone output. That
allows me to have all my alsa devices available during a teleconference,
with no one else on the call any wiser. This way my screen reader never
interferes with a call. Yes, people on teleconferences are distracted
should a screen reader start chattering in the background.

It also does something else very useful. On some teleconferences I'm
mostly listening, and not talking much. I can take my headset off and
route the incoming teleconference audio to one of my loudspeaker sets.
That way I can go get another cup of coffee without missing what's being
said--and still have access to all the other devices mixed on the Mackie
when I need them. Very handy!

I'd love to move this functionality to a wireless headset, but I'd still
want all the other streams controlled by my Mackie available in that
wireless headset. So, this is an upgrade for some future date that
probably involves an upgraded Mackie, too.

I would note that adjusting the relative volume of screen reader and
teleconference audio is something I do frequently. The Mackie makes that
easy to do.

I should note also that I'm currently using FreeSwitch for my
teleconference calls. Among other benefits with FreeSwitch, I have Bill
Ackers bash functions available to me on any bash command line for mute,
unmute, call, hangup, send dtmf.

Here's its config. Note again the all important VID= and PiD= code:
<begin code>
alias snd-card-1 headset
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-usb-audio index=1 vid=0x1395 pid=0x3556
<end code>

5.) Last is the builtin audio chip on my motherboard. This is used
for Speakup output driving espeak via espeakup. It also plays other
sound events, such as various ogg files I use as earcons in scripts.
Mplayer is happy to play to this card, but I have Speakup to contend
with when I do that, so I tend to not just listen to music via this device. But, it is handy for earcons. I've not investigated why
speech-dispatcher is unwilling to send output there, I just know it
won't, unless Speakup and espeakup aren't loaded.

Here's it's config:
<begin code>
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
<end code>

This is the only card that gives me trouble, and it only gives me
trouble on boot. Sometimes, with today's multithreaded booting, the card
isn't discovered in time, and alsa moves forward configuring the
remaining cards in correct order, but shifted down by one card device
number. Obviously, that won't work for my situation as described here,
especially because of the headset and because of my need to have
speech-dispatcher on a separate device! I'd love to learn how I can
force alsa to wait until this device is definitely loaded by udev.
Rebooting for this reason is a pain!

Hope this is helpful,

Janina

Rob writes:
 ...The only problem I have with pulse is that age old thing about not having speech in boht the console and the gui. You had to jump through hoops to get both working. The work around was to do something with pulse starting in daemon or system mode rather than user mode. But pulse didn't like you doing that for some reason.
> I haven't played with pulse for a long time, so I don't know if this issue still exists. I'd rather just avoid it entirely where I can.

I don't have the page bookmarked, so can't point you to a URI, but I
read in the pulse docs about this. Their rationale is security. Running
as root would enable you to snoop on someone's microphone, if there are
multiple terminals connected to a particular computer.

I find their use cases unbelievably edge-case and totaly specious. Yes,
in theory they're correct. But, I'd wager there are far more blind users
being inconvenienced by this than will ever set up multiple keyboards,
displays and audio devices attaching to the same computer in multiple
rooms--the only way I can see justifying their security concerns.

At this point I tend to start using not so nice expressions.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:[hidden email]
                Email: [hidden email]

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Michał Zegan
I believe there is another thing you forgot about/didn't find in the
article maybe, performance.
I believe it was said that system mode pa does not use shared memory for
audio communication, so it is also performance problems that could be
caused by system mode pa.
About multiple users, well, it is enough to mention quick user
switching. there should be a way to play system wide sounds but...

W dniu 21.08.2017 o 16:37, Janina Sajka via orca-list pisze:

> Rob writes:
>  ...The only problem I have with pulse is that age old thing about not having speech in boht the console and the gui. You had to jump through hoops to get both working. The work around was to do something with pulse starting in daemon or system mode rather than user mode. But pulse didn't like you doing that for some reason.
>> I haven't played with pulse for a long time, so I don't know if this issue still exists. I'd rather just avoid it entirely where I can.
>
> I don't have the page bookmarked, so can't point you to a URI, but I
> read in the pulse docs about this. Their rationale is security. Running
> as root would enable you to snoop on someone's microphone, if there are
> multiple terminals connected to a particular computer.
>
> I find their use cases unbelievably edge-case and totaly specious. Yes,
> in theory they're correct. But, I'd wager there are far more blind users
> being inconvenienced by this than will ever set up multiple keyboards,
> displays and audio devices attaching to the same computer in multiple
> rooms--the only way I can see justifying their security concerns.
>
> At this point I tend to start using not so nice expressions.
>
> Janina

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Christian Schoepplein
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:37:33AM -0400, Janina Sajka via orca-list wrote:

>Rob writes:
> ...The only problem I have with pulse is that age old thing about not having speech in boht the console and the gui. You had to jump through hoops to get both working. The work around was to do something with pulse starting in daemon or system mode rather than user mode. But pulse didn't like you doing that for some reason.
>> I haven't played with pulse for a long time, so I don't know if this issue still exists. I'd rather just avoid it entirely where I can.
>
>I don't have the page bookmarked, so can't point you to a URI, but I
>read in the pulse docs about this. Their rationale is security. Running
>as root would enable you to snoop on someone's microphone, if there are
>multiple terminals connected to a particular computer.
>
>I find their use cases unbelievably edge-case and totaly specious. Yes,
>in theory they're correct. But, I'd wager there are far more blind users
>being inconvenienced by this than will ever set up multiple keyboards,
>displays and audio devices attaching to the same computer in multiple
>rooms--the only way I can see justifying their security concerns.

Full ACK, but fortunatly pulse can still be executed as root.

The biggest problem with pulse is, that getting it to work in the
console and in a graphical environment isn't easy and that make things
much more difficult especialy for linux beginners. I also have to play
around try different configs when setting up a new linux box.

I'll try to write a step to step guide how I've configured my Debian
Stretch machine with pulse and speech support in the console and Mate.

Cheers,

  Schoepp

--
Christian Schoepplein - <chris (at) schoeppi.net> - http://schoeppi.net

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

chrys-2
Howdy,

you can get all your soundcards with
pactl list short sinks
or more detailed with:
pacmd list-sinks

to set a new default device use:
pacmd set-default-sink <Index>
the index is the number on the beginning of the line of pactl list short
sinks

if the wrong soundcard is set you can run those commans via SSH.
it remembers the default but if you dont trust and want to be sure that
a special device is set you can place it as start script

i also wrote a small script and bound it to an bash and gnome shortcut
to cycle between all soundcards (maybe its useful for you or others)
---- script start ------
#!/bin/bash

sinks=(`pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e
's/\**[[:space:]]index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p'`)
sinks_count=${#sinks[@]}
active_sink_index=`pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e
's/\*[[:space:]]index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p'`
newSink=${sinks[0]}
ord=0

while [ $ord -lt $sinks_count ];
do
     echo ${sinks[$ord]}
     if [ ${sinks[$ord]} -gt $active_sink_index ] ; then
         newSink=${sinks[$ord]}
         break
     fi
     let ord++
done

# move current running streams to the new device
pactl list short sink-inputs|while read stream; do
     streamId=$(echo $stream|cut '-d ' -f1)
     echo "moving stream $streamId"
     pactl move-sink-input "$streamId" "$newSink"
done
pacmd set-default-sink "$newSink"
--- script end----

Am 20.08.2017 um 18:01 schrieb John G. Heim:

> Well, it's kind of hard to reconfigure pulse when you have no sound.
> Again, at least 3 times in the past year or 2, I've lost sound, had to
> use ssh to get into my computer, and remove the ~/.config/pulse/
> folder. I didn't make up the solution, I found it on this list. So I
> am not the only one. It's a problem. Lets not act like it's not.
>

> I don't know, I speculated pulse's problems were due to it not being
> possible to guarantee the order in which hardware devices are
> discovered. Maybe that's wrong but it's not really to the point.
> Somebody says pulse has a prioritizing algorithm which seems
> reasonable to me. But that algorithm probably at least somewhat
> depends on the order in which ards are discovered. I don't know how it
> could be otherwise and there certainly seems to be amount of
> randomness in it.
>

> On 08/19/2017 01:39 PM, chrys wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> sorry but that is just bullshit lol. Also PA does not choose an
>> random sound card. it uses that one that you defined as default.
>> You also can set output devices and prioritys by scripting or
>> configuration like in alsa... so that argument is just wrong.
>>  cheers chrys
>> Am 19.08.2017 um 20:24 schrieb Janina Sajka via orca-list:
>>> Micha:
>>>
>>> For me this is yet another reason to stay away from pulse. The last
>>> thing I need with 5 sound cards is having some bot deciding which ones
>>> should do what, and in what order. I have no use for machines that
>>> ignore my specified configurations to make up their own.
>>>

>>> In other words, this is just another way for things to break.
>>>
>>> Janina

>> GNOME Universal Access guide:
>> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>> Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Gnome Orca mailing list
Chrys:

I've kept your message from August around because I've found it useful.
Thank you.

Quick question: Do you know of a cli way of telling pulse to ignore
certain cards and use certain others instead? For instance, how can I tell pulse to
limit itself to cards 2 and 3, and leave 0, 1 and 4 alone?

Thanks,

Janina

chrys writes:

> [...]
> >

> > On 08/19/2017 01:39 PM, chrys wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > sorry but that is just bullshit lol. Also PA does not choose an
> > > random sound card. it uses that one that you defined as default.
> > > You also can set output devices and prioritys by scripting or
> > > configuration like in alsa... so that argument is just wrong.
> > >  cheers chrys

> > > GNOME Universal Access guide:
> > > https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
> > > Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:[hidden email]
                Email: [hidden email]

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Hello Janina,

By default pulseaudio is configured through its main configuration file at /etc/pulse/default.pa to dynamically load all the modules corresponding with your hardware taking over all the available sound devices.
If you only would like to configure it to load concrete driver modules for a few devices you would like it to hijack you can create your user specific ~/.config/pulse/default.pa commenting out parts which are controlling the autodetection and manually loading those driver modules and those feature specific modules you do care about.
The file /etc/pulse/default.pa contains usefull examples with some comments alongside them so I think you will realize how the puzzle will stick together when you combine it with the knowledge on alsa device ordering you have explained to us a few months ago.
For example you might like to comment out this...
### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
load-module module-detect
.endif
and you might like to uncomment and modify this instead
### Load audio drivers statically
### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
And depending on what you are trying to do you may also like to optionally uncomment
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

By learning this and making pulse work for you, combining it with its ability to be controlled via pacmd cli utility pulseaudio might become your new Mackie if you will have problems finding a device featuring classic radio style controls and knobs.
I am occassionally thinking about your sound setup as you have described it a few months ago and this is definatelly one of the directions you should try exploring.
I have always wanted to point it out gently so you might like to consider something like this however I was not sure you will like it so depending on my current mood I was putting it aside all the time.
Now you have shown your interest in this direction so I've changed my mind a bit.
I don't have much more experiences with setting up a sound system, however I do like pulseaudio so if you are happy to talk with someone else who is thinking from the other end to yours please just ask. I think we may have fun trying out new ways on how to make it work.

Greetings

Peter

chrys writes:
> [...]
> > only one. It's a problem. Lets not act like it's not.
> >

> > I don't know, I speculated pulse's problems were due to it not being
> > possible to guarantee the order in which hardware devices are
> > discovered. Maybe that's wrong but it's not really to the point.
> > Somebody says pulse has a prioritizing algorithm which seems reasonable
> > to me. But that algorithm probably at least somewhat depends on the
> > order in which ards are discovered. I don't know how it could be
> > otherwise and there certainly seems to be amount of randomness in it.
> >

> > On 08/19/2017 01:39 PM, chrys wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > sorry but that is just bullshit lol. Also PA does not choose an
> > > random sound card. it uses that one that you defined as default.
> > > You also can set output devices and prioritys by scripting or
> > > configuration like in alsa... so that argument is just wrong.

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  <a href="tel:%2B1.443.300.2200" value="+14433002200">+1.443.300.2200
                        [hidden email]
                Email:  [hidden email]

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:       http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures        http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Gnome Orca mailing list
Thanks, Peter. I will play around with your suggestions sometime soon.
For now I just want to acknowledge your email and thank you for taking
the time to provide concrete suggestions.

Part of the problem with trying out new things on a machine with 4-5
audio cards, is that there's a reason for putting so many cards on one
system in the first place. They're doing very specific things for me,
and it's a bit hard to find the time to put all that at risk while
trying out something new. But, I will get there sometime before year's
end, and I will happily rely on your good advice when I do that.

Thanks again. To be continued!

Best,

Janina

Peter Vágner writes:

> [...]
> >
> > --
> >
> > Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200
> >                         sip:[hidden email]
> >                 Email:  [hidden email]
> >
> > Linux Foundation Fellow
> > Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:       http://a11y.org
> >
> > The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
> > Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures        http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

> > gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
> > Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

--

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:[hidden email]
                Email: [hidden email]

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Fernando Botelho
Wow, now you just made me and a bunch of others very curious about what
anyone would do with 4 or 5 sound cards on a computer! :)

Best,

Fernando

On 11/21/2017 02:21 PM, Janina Sajka via orca-list wrote:

> [...]
>>> respond

>>> via
>>> multiple USB

>>> problem
>>> Linux

>>> once

>>> current

>>> the

>>> gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>>> --
>>>
>>> Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200
>>>                          sip:[hidden email]
>>>                  Email:  [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Linux Foundation Fellow
>>> Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:       http://a11y.org
>>>
>>> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
>>> Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures        http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

>>> gnome-help/stable/a11y.html
>>> Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Sure, Fernando! Here's my annotated current list:

Note that these are on a tower system at my office desk. All outputs are
routed into a Mackie 1202 audio mixer that physically sites on a shelf
right above my keyboard--where sighted folks would typically put a video
monitor. I have a pair of old Roland monitors on a level with my ears on
this same shelf. Behind me on the wall are a pair of old JBL Ion powered
speakers. The Mackie allows me to play output to either pair (or both),
or to a headset (see below).

$aplay -l |grep card

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Comment: This one is the builtin on the motherboard. It's for Speakup with espeakup TTS. It doesn't share
well, but I wouldn't particularly want it to share on this machine, as
that easily means getting non screen reader output mixed with my screen
reader's TTS. I don't use the hdmi, though I'm thinking of possibly
attaching an Amazon Firestick there.

card 1: Device [C-Media USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB
Audio]
Comment: This one is a $15 USB device I picked up years ago. It's for Orca over Speech-Dispatcher also using
espeak, currently via libao. On my laptop I have Speakup and Orca
talking through the same device, but that hasn't worked for me on this
tower system--not for the many years I ran Fedora, or now under Arch.

card 2: Headset [Sennheiser USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB
Audio]
Comment:This is a gamer headset I picked up some 6-7 years ago vor
around $160. It lives right by the Mackie where I can easily grab it and
put it on my head. It's for SIP voip telephone calls over either
freeswitch (currently broken) or linphonec (currently working). This
device is very important to my business life as it allows me to talk on
the phone but still have Speakup and/or Orca in my ears without the
screen reader bleeding into the phone call. Literally it's my business
telephone with a defined extension on my data center hosted Asterisk
PBX. It's microphone input is routed directly into the Sennheiser USB
dongle. Meanwhile, output from the USB dongle gets a pair of inputs on
the Mackie, while the headset's audio input cable is attached to the
headphone jack on the Mackie.

card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724
IEC958]
card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 2: ICE1724 Surrounds [ICE1724
Surround PCM]
Comment: This is a PCI card I picked up years ago for $25. I think it's
one of my best buys ever, as the chipset is top notch quality audio for
its time. It's my goto device anytime I simply need to play some audio.

card 4: DSP [Hammerfall DSP], device 0: RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface
[RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface]
Comment: This is the original RME Hammerfalls DAC unit which set me back
some $1,500 some 15 years ago. It's the device I use for editing audio
wether with sox or ecasound, or my old favorite wedit. It's also my midi
interface as I have an old 61-lkey keyboard controller behind my 104
typing keyboard for quick access to playing a few musical notes. It also
interfaces my Marantz casette deck--so many old cassettes still to rip!
And, it interfaces my Sony DAT deck. I've had various music making units
interfaced, currently a Roland XV5050, hopefully to be soon swapped out
for something that will keep audio in the digital domain. Probably this
device will get replaced someday in the future, as it tops out at 96Khz
sampling.

For a sample of what I do with this card, which is sometimes routed via
jackd, take a look at the sample 1 minute "sound montage" posted at:

https://WeThePeeple.org

Full disclosure here. What you hear at this link was story-boarded using
this device. All the sound samples were edited and basically laid out,
except the piano and the snare drum, using this device. In other words, I figured out my composition using this card. Final mixing, however, was done on
a Mac in a studio I work with in College Park. Basically, I took the
pieces of sound to their studio location on a USB stick with a printout of what I
wanted at what time offset and pan location for final assembly, as it
were.

This "sound montage" introduces a song I, and the other musicians I
worked with, expect to release soon, as soon as all the copyright
licenses are arranged properly.

I should add that I'm the keyboard gal on this song. I got files from
the studio reflecting recently recorded piano, bass drums, and then
vocals. There were several iterations. Against these i picked out what I
wanted to add using the Roland XV5050, practiced my parts until I was
ready to take my XV5050 to that studio and lay my own tracks that were
then considered and edited into the final mix we'll be releasing.

The montage I've published is based almost entirely on Creative Commons
licensed, so no copyright. The sole exception is the Moslem Meuzin,
where I've been unable to find actual ownership info, so am relying on
U.S. Fair Use as my defense, should I be challenged. But, now I digress
from explaining how I use my audio devices!

hth

Janina

Fernando Botelho writes:

> [...]
> > > my current mood I was putting it aside all the time.
> > > Now you have shown your interest in this direction so I've changed my mind
> > > a bit.
> > > I don't have much more experiences with setting up a sound system, however
> > > I do like pulseaudio so if you are happy to talk with someone else who is
> > > thinking from the other end to yours please just ask. I think we may have
> > > fun trying out new ways on how to make it work.
> > >
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > Peter

--

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:[hidden email]
                Email: [hidden email]

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

Outstanding!

Thanks for sharing!

Fernando